Click images
 below for more
 


Out and About
Places to Visit


The Beaches of
Cardigan Bay


Local Walks

 
Wildlife of the
New Quay Area


Local History


Community


Property for sale

 

Translate this page
  This Welsh translation uses InterTran. The new page takes a little while to load Welsh
  French
  German
  Italian
  Spanish



 


The Dylan Thomas Trail in New Quay, West Wales.

The Dylan Thomas 100 in New Quay - Although Dylan Thomas only lived for a short time during the second
world war in New Quay, it is widely believed that many colourful local residents in the town became the basis of his
characters in his most widely acclaimed work 'Under Milk Wood'.

Click here for a page of local events commemorating the 100th anniversary of Dylan Thomas' birth


The Author David Thomas, in his recently published book 'Dylan Thomas, A Farm, Two Mansions and a Bungalow', has put together a convincing case that New Quay is the inspiration of Thomas's Llareggub  (read it backwards!). Details of the 'Dylan trail'  in his book 'The Dylan Thomas Trail' ( Published by Y Lolfa Cyf, Talybont, 2002,  6.95) take the visitor to a number of locations identified as models for locales in the fictional Llareggub.

Ceredigion Council provides a leaflet entitled 'Dylan Thomas - New Quay' available from the New Quay and Aberaeron Tourist Offices (below). 

This page takes you to the locations mentioned in New Quay

 

 

1

The Trail starts at the New Quay Tourist Office. This modern building is built on the site of a former Lime Kiln. 

 

London House - opposite the Tourist Office, was once the home and shop of Dylan Thomas' friend Norman Evans. He was thought to be the inspiration for 'Under Milk Wood's' 'Nogood Boyo'.

 

2


Just up Chapel Street from the tourist Office is the pub called the Dolau Inn. This was the favourite pub of Caitlin, Dylan's wife. It was also frequented by Alistair Graham, Evelyn Waugh's lover and nephew of the Duchess of Montrose. Graham was Dylan's inspiration for 'Lord Cut-Glass' as well as the basis of the character of Sebastian Flyte in 'Brideshead revisited'. The actors Richard Burton and Paul Schofield also drank here when visiting New Quay.

 

3

The building that now houses the public toilets was once the old lifeboat station. Retired sea captains would meet here daily to gossip and it became known as Cnwc y Glap.

 

Opposite is the 'Blue Bell', once owned by Auntie Cat. 

4

The 'Hungry Trout' is a Restaurant today with a fine view over Cardigan Bay. It used to be the post office where Dylan Thomas posted his scripts to London. 

 

 

5

The Black Lion Hotel was Dylan's favourite and was owned by his friend Jack Pat (Patrick). The Dylan Restaurant in the basement here has a large collection of Dylan Thomas memorabilia  - photos and articles, on the walls. Gomer House across the road was the home of Captain Tom Polly, Dylan's inspiration for Captain Cat.

 

 

6

The Sea Horse used to be known as the 'Commercial'. Prior to that it was known as the Sailor's Home Arms -  providing the name for 'Under Milk Wood's 'Sailor's Arms.

 

Across the car park from the Sea Horse can be seen the Towyn Chapel. The Minister here in Dylan's time was Orchwy Bowen - both a Poet and a Preacher as was Eli Jenkins in 'Under Milk Wood'.

7

'Wendowel' is on the left along the road past the chapel. It was once the home of Elizabeth Williams and Theodosia Legg, Dylan's Aunt and Cousin. He stayed here with them in the 1930's.

 

The 'Costcutter' shop is on the site of the bakery once run by Mr. John -  'Dai Bread'. There is no suggestion that Mr. John had two wives!

 

8

Manchester House was once a drapers similar to
that run by Mog Edwards in Llareggub. Now
it is an Art, Jewellery & Health Food  shop.

 

Manchester House was once a drapers.

 

9

Brongwyn Lane once ran all the way round the coast to Dylan's home 'Majoda'. However, much of the coast here - including Maesgwyn Farm - mentioned at the beginning of 'Under Milk Wood' has been washed away only to be deposited in New Quay harbour which can no longer take large vessels. 

 

 

10


The Llanina Mansion - Plas Llanina has been restored having almost fallen into ruin since Dylan's time here. It was once owned by Lord Howard de Walden who was a patron of Dylan Thomas. Dylan first came to Plas Llanina with the painter Augustus John in 1938 / 1939. He wrote in the 'Apple House' at the end of the garden - sadly now dilapidated.

 

 

11

Dylan lived in the bungalow called 'Majoda'  from September 1944 to July 1945. This was a fruitful period in his writing career where he wrote many poems and scripts including 'Quite early one morning'. He also started 'under Milk Wood' while living here.

 

 

12

'Ffynnonfeddyg' is just a short distance from 'Majoda'. It was once the home of Dylan's friend's Vera and William Killick. After an argument, Killick was involved in a shooting incident at 'Majoda'. At the Lampeter Assizes he was subsequently found not guilty, however Dylan and Caitlin soon moved away from New Quay after this incident. The present Spanish style house is much changed.

 


Links to more Dylan Thomas information

Dylan, New Quay and Under Milk Wood - A new website from David Thomas

Fatal Neglect - Who killed Dylan Thomas? - A new book by David N. Thomas explores events surrounding the death of Dylan Thomas.